How to Improve your Home During the Cold Winter Months.
5 Home Improvements Tips for the Winter Months
1. When the weather is cooperating…get to work! If you’re checking out the 5 day forecast and notice that you’re going to have three or four nice days that week, make sure to tke advantage of them. Get some of those outdoor projects completed like installing new storm windows, cleaning up that brown lifeless landscaping, or taking on a concrete project while the sun is shining. If it’s too cold outside to do any of those things, switch your attention to a project that can easily be completed indoors. When it’s cold, switch your focus to the interior of your home.
2. Now is the time to get it done and get it done right. The cold winter months often allow you to take some extra time to really focus on the little things. Late January or early February are perfect time to take care of projects like that mosaic sink that you’ve been thinking about. There’s no rush , so you’ll feel comfortable really taking your time and paying close attention to the details. Have some ideas to add great trim and finishing touches to your home? Winter gives you the time you need to do it right.
3. Use “Home Zones” to be more efficient. If your home has zone heating, you’ll want to make sure that all of your activities that you do at home are being done in one part of the house. You can close off the other part of your home that you’ll be working on. This will keep everyone involved happy. It’ll make clean up not as bad, and you won’t have the kids getting in the way while your trying to get some work done. Also, you can just turn off certain shut off valves on certain plumbing units instead of shutting off the water to the entire house. The wife and kids will thank you!
4. Keep it inside. Why freeze your rear end off by doing a bunch of work outside in the snow. Make a list of every indoor project that you’ve been wanting to knock off your list. Set aside a day or two where you can try to knock it all out. After you make the list, you’ll probably realize that you’re going to need more than a day or two to get all of those tasks completed. You be able to keep yourself busy for the entire month of January!
5. Know your limits. You won’t want to remodel your entire kitchen in the dead of winter unless you have plenty of cash to afford going out to dinner every night. There won’t be many happy campers outside gathering around the grill for a Mid-February cookout. Obviously you won’t want to plan on getting a new roof during the winter months either. You’ll just be begging for troubles and some cold nights if you’d be brave enough to try that. Your best bet would be to wait for Spring for those types of projects.
In you follow these 5 tips, you’ll be pleasantly surprised how much work you’ll get done throughout the winter…even if it’s 4 degrees outside. If you find yourself in need of assistance with any of your plumbing projects this winter, please don’t hesitate to contact us at Affordable Pittsburgh Plumbing (412) 944-2850 and we will be more than happy to assist you in any area that you made need. We’re the most trusted plumbing service in all of Pittsburgh.